Tuesday, February 9, 2010

Winter Garden by Kristin Hannah

This was a wonderful, engaging story about a two grown sisters and keeping their promises to their father on his death bed. The author told this story in such a beautiful way. I was intrigued by many of her writing tricks in this story. She started the story with a lot of detail, that was not boring which can be a fine line in story-telling. Her detail allowed me to feel as though I was traveling through this story in real time. I felt connected to the characters and really felt like I could feel their emotions. She also had a beautiful flow over who the voice telling the story was. Most books are written in either one person telling the story from their point of view or the story is told with alternating voice between chapters. Kristin Hannah told this story in such a flowing way that one characters voice suddenly took over another characters voice mid-thought. It was very intriguing. I won't give away any of the details of the story line however I will say that I was sobbing at the end.

No comments: